Being on the slow carb diet nuts are a great little treat and snack for me. I’ve was never a huge fan of almonds until recently, now I want them with everything. With the warmer weather coming up, gelato is on my mind even more than usual. I was a little skeptical of this recipe at first because I love the flavor of almond extract so much, but I didn’t know how just steeping the almonds would compare to what my tastebuds really wanted. That rich sweet almond flavor is very present, and I have already been asked by multiple friends and family when am I going to make this again? This gelato is amazing on it’s own, but I think topping it with some chopped toasted or candied almonds, as well as a drizzle of caramel and or sea salt would make for a very nice addition. I served this gelato with the Chocolate Croissant Bread Pudding Cups. You can’t go wrong with chocolate and almond.
- 1½ cups chopped almonds (toasted)
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 vanilla bean (split in half length wise)
- 5 egg yolks
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- Mix together milk, cream, vanilla bean and chopped almonds in a heavy bottomed sauce pan
- Bring mixture just to a simmer and take it off the heat and let steep for at least 10-15 minutes
- Strain liquid into a measuring cup, and scrape out seeds of the vanilla bean and add them to the almond liquid
- Whisk together the egg yolks, and both sugars until it lightens in color and is fluffy
- Slowly whisk in the almond liquid and put it back in the heavy bottomed sauce pan and return to a medium low heat stirring constantly until it slightly thickens or reaches 170°F
- Immediately take it off the heat and strain it into a bowl, cover and refrigerate until completely cold, 5-6 hours or over night.
- Once it's completely cold transfer it to your gelato machine and freeze according to the manufacturer’s instructions
She enjoys fresh pasta, creamy cheesy risotto, fresh churned gelato right out of the machine, and peanut butter cups. She absolutely despises cilantro and walnuts. Her favorite kitchen utensils are whisks and offset spatulas.
When she is not in the kitchen you can find her being lazy with her cats and polishing her nails.