I’ve always been a big fan of corn bread in any form. Corn bread with cheese, corn bread with little chunks of jalapeno, corn bread muffins, or corn bread cakes.
This corn bread is a really dense and very moist, and one of my favorite ways, with delightful corn kernel surprises throughout.
I served it the other night with chili mac and cheese and it was tasty!
- 1 cup cornmeal
- ¾ cup flour
- 4 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup sour cream
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and grease an 8 inch glass baking dish.
- Mix all of the dry ingredients together in a large bowl until combined.
- In a smaller bowl whisk the eggs and then the milk and sour cream.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry, and then slowly mix in the melted butter until completely combined.
- Pour into the baking dish and bake for about 25-30 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for 10-15 minutes before slicing.
*Fun Fact: When she was 10-13ish, only 1 out of every 5 batches of sugar cookie dough would make it past the butter/sugar stage and end up in the oven instead of Brie’s stomach. #ThisIsWhyI’mFat
P.S. She also set the microwave on fire during the same era while making home-made microwavable popcorn. Pro tip: Alton Brown is WRONG and you cannot put a paper bag with staples into the microwave; things will go badly.
P.P.S Happy ending. Even though to put out the fire she threw a bowl of water onto it and shorted all the circuits, the microwave started working after a week and her mom was non-the-wiser.
P.P.P.S But, I guess not any longer…