Though it’s not exactly known for authentic Thai cuisine (not that pizza counts either!), the first time I had a “Thai Pie” was in Boulder, Colorado. It was an incredible combination of sweet, savory, cheese, and carbs – I was totally hooked.
I’ve since moved to the San Francisco Bay Area and my access to incredible cuisine from all over the world is at an all time high…but I still crave the peanut-y goodness I enjoyed ten years ago.
Thanks to the internet, a stubborn demeanor, and some trial and error, I’ve managed to make my own version of this tasty dish. It has a fool-proof homemade crust, to boot.
Note: if you’re serving this Thai pizza as a main dish, this recipe only serves three people. If you cut it into smaller pieces, it makes a lovely appetizer and works for 4-6.
If you have some fresh Naan on hand, go ahead and use it instead of the pizza dough. Yum!
Oh! Don’t be afraid of the huge pile of veggies before it goes into the oven – it shrinks as the pizza bakes, like so:
- 1 crockpot liner
- 1 frozen chicken breast
- 1 cup chicken broth
- ¼ cup hoisin sauce
- ¾ cup hot water
- 1 teaspoon instant yeast
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- Parchment paper
- 5 tablespoons chunky peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons minced ginger (I use the squeeze bottle kind!)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons hot chili oil
- 2 teaspoons Sriracha (more if you like heat, less if you don't)
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella
- ½ cup shredded cheddar
- ½ cup chopped green onion
- ½ cup sliced red bell pepper
- ½ large carrot, peeled and grated
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- ¼ cup chopped broccoli
- 3 tablespoons sesame seeds
- Bring out your Crockpot/Slow Cooker and line it with your handy, dandy plastic liner.
- Throw the frozen chicken breast, chicken broth, and hoisin sauce into the Crockpot.
- Set to high and cook for four hours or until the chicken comes apart easily with a fork.
- Shred chicken, then drain excess liquid. (Can be made up to one day ahead).
- Combine yeast and warm water in a medium-sized mixing bowl.
- Add 1½ teaspoons of salt, two cups of flour, and knead until smooth (about 5-8 minutes).
- Cover and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 425° Fahrenheit.
- Roll out dough into a large disk ¼ inches thick on parchment paper.
- Move dough and paper to baking sheet.
- Combine sauce ingredients in a blender and process until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, combine chicken, bell pepper, carrot, and broccoli with 4 tablespoons of pizza sauce. Mix until uniformly covered with sauce.
- Spread remaining sauce evenly over dough.
- Top with cheese, chicken, green onions, cilantro, and sesame seeds.
- Bake for 17 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the crust is golden brown.
She lives in the Bay Area and cites her diverse background as her biggest influence: her visual artist mom is half-Chinese, half-Greek, and from Hawai’i; her film-loving, world-music curating dad is from Montana; and she lived in both California and Montana while growing up. She loves at least a little bit about virtually everything (Pokémon Snap included) and aims to be a Jane of all trades. By day Cat is a multiple-hat-wearing media person.
She is also allergic to felines.