I may be born and (mostly) raised in San Francisco, but the Montana years shine through now and again. This particular recipe is a nod to the late nights I spent studying with my bestie over cheese fries and coffee in a truck stop diner near Bozeman, MT. When I think of cheese fries, these are what spring to mind: thick fries drowned in flavorful, cheesy sauce. This recipe delivers exactly that, plus green onions and bacon.
If we’re honest, everyone is a little persnickety when it comes to french fry particulars. I prefer this sauce with wedges or crinkle cut, baked rather than fried – but you do you. Whatever speaks to your cheese-fry-loving heart, ya know?
If it glistens, it must be good for you, right?
- 1 large ziplock bag
- 4 strips bacon, cooked and roughly chopped
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ cup shredded Gouda
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 4 oz. cream cheese
- Approximately 1 cup of milk or heavy cream
- Large bag of frozen French fries of your choice (crinkle cut, wedge, etc).
- Prepare fries according to preference and place in a large casserole dish.
- Combine the cheeses, cornstarch, and spices in the ziplock bag and shake until evenly mixed.
- Lightly warm about ½ cup of the milk or heavy cream in a medium pot.
- Stir in the cheese mixture and cream cheese.
- Continue to stir over medium-low heat until cheese starts to get melty.
- Add in about ¼ cup more milk and continue stirring.
- Keeping stirring until well combined - add a little more liquid if the mixture seems too thick to pour (should be very smooth, not chunky).
- Pour over fries.
- Sprinkle with green onion and bacon bits.
She lives in the Bay Area and cites her diverse background as her biggest influence: her visual artist mom is half-Chinese, half-Greek, and from Hawai’i; her film-loving, world-music curating dad is from Montana; and she lived in both California and Montana while growing up. She loves at least a little bit about virtually everything (Pokémon Snap included) and aims to be a Jane of all trades. By day Cat is a multiple-hat-wearing media person.
She is also allergic to felines.