One of my favorite fall and winter foods is butternut squash. It’s got such a lovely flavor and an even better texture. It brings to mind steamy soups, comforting raviolis, and even bread – but sometimes simpler is just as nice.
I think the most difficult part of any butternut squash recipe is preparing the squash itself. If any of you have tips for simplifying the process, I am all ears.
The process, as I do it now, consists of cutting both ends off of the squash, peeling it, cutting it in half, and then carefully, slowly cutting it into cubes. Frankly, it’s pretty tiring – my hands get sore after one squash! By squash two, I’m a little cranky.
Enough of my whining – it’s really worth it once you bite into a moist, flavorful, yummy piece of butternut squash. Let’s get to cooking!
- 2 medium sized butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 8 Fresh sage leaves, minced
- 6 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, combine melted butter, minced sage, brown sugar, salt, and black pepper with the cubed butternut squash.
- Mix together until the squash is coated evenly.
- Spread onto a baking sheet - make sure the squash is only one layer deep, don't overlap pieces or they won't caramelize!
- Roast for about 50 minutes or until the squash is tender and has just started to caramelize.
- Serve & enjoy!
She lives in the Bay Area and cites her diverse background as her biggest influence: her visual artist mom is half-Chinese, half-Greek, and from Hawai’i; her film-loving, world-music curating dad is from Montana; and she lived in both California and Montana while growing up. She loves at least a little bit about virtually everything (Pokémon Snap included) and aims to be a Jane of all trades. By day Cat is a multiple-hat-wearing media person.
She is also allergic to felines.
Latest posts by Cat (see all)
- Thursday Link Rodeo - January 22, 2015
- Quick & Easy Meals for When You’ve Thrown Your Back Out - January 21, 2015
- Thursday Link Rodeo - January 15, 2015