In what’s becoming an annual tradition, Brie and I hosted a Holiday Movie Night at our house this past Saturday. It’s serves as excellent motivation to finish putting up our weird and eclectic collection of Christmas decorations and really helps lock in the feeling that Santa is due in town really, really soon (don’t forget to finish up your holiday shopping!).
We started with a nice selection of goodies and several holiday shorts/cartoons (about 40 minutes worth). Then came the feature holiday movie: Die Hard! (Don’t tell anyone, but it was my first time seeing it…)
We kind of went all out last year, but I wanted something a little lower key this time around. And yes, I’m saying there are tasty things even easier than the Easy-Peasy-Rum Cake. And this egg nog pie is definitely easy.
The worst part, really, is letting it sit long enough in the fridge to set. Make sure you wait to put the pretty whipped topping on until it’s nearly ready to serve. Otherwise this happens:
Give it a spin, why don’t ya?
- 2 cups egg nog
- 1 cup heavy cream for a really rich texture or regular milk for something lighter
- 1 box cook & serve vanilla pudding mix
- 1 pre-baked pie shell
- 1 can aerosol whipped topping
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- Whisk together the egg nog, cream, and vanilla pudding mix in a medium pot over medium heat (you can add a Tablespoon of rum if you want to kick it up a notch!).
- Continue whisking until thickened and bubbly.
- Pour into pre-baked pie shell.
- Refrigerate until firm (about 3 hours).
- Decorate with whipped topping and nutmeg.
She lives in the Bay Area and cites her diverse background as her biggest influence: her visual artist mom is half-Chinese, half-Greek, and from Hawai’i; her film-loving, world-music curating dad is from Montana; and she lived in both California and Montana while growing up. She loves at least a little bit about virtually everything (Pokémon Snap included) and aims to be a Jane of all trades. By day Cat is a multiple-hat-wearing media person.
She is also allergic to felines.