One of the many goodies served at our very Qwerty Thanksgiving was a green bean casserole. It’s an adaptation of this recipe from FoodNetwork.com.
For green bean casserole purists, you’ll want to look for another recipe – but anyone enamored with fresh green beans, fresh onions, and CHEEEEESE!, well, I think you’ll find this to be pretty darn tasty.
I hadn’t thought to incorporate this dish into my Turkey Day lineup until Mark requested it. I’m glad he did – now the day doesn’t feel complete without it. The gooey cheese, crisp green beans, and wonderfully crunchy french fried onions – delish!
Though it’s traditionally a Thanksgiving casserole, I think you could get away with serving it any night you feel like indulging a little.
Let’s get to cooking!
- ⅔ stick butter
- 1 Tablespoon squeeze bottle garlic
- 1 cup diced onions
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 cups sliced green beans
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 10¾ ounce cans of cream of mushroom soup
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- 2 cups grated cheddar
- 2 2.8 ounce cans of french friend onion rings
- A pinch of salt
- A pinch of pepper
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Bring chicken broth to a boil and cook green beans for ten minutes.
- Drain and set aside.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Cook garlic, onions, and mushrooms until softened - about 5-7 minutes.
- Add in cooked green beans, mushroom soup, sour cream, half of french friend onion rings, half of cheese, and salt and pepper. Stir well.
- Transfer to a 9 x 13 casserole dish.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, then sprinkle remaining cheddar and french fried onion rings evenly over the top.
- Bake for an additional 10 minutes (or until the cheese is nicely melted) and serve.
She lives in the Bay Area and cites her diverse background as her biggest influence: her visual artist mom is half-Chinese, half-Greek, and from Hawai’i; her film-loving, world-music curating dad is from Montana; and she lived in both San Francisco, California and Great Falls, Montana while growing up. She loves at least a little bit about virtually everything (Pokémon Snap included) and aims to be a Jane of all trades. By day Cat is a writer and graphic designer.
She is also allergic to felines.