This is my all time favorite gelato flavor and recipe. I don’t make it too often because 1. I want it to be a treat when I do make it, and 2. I just want to eat it all.
It has a strong espresso flavor without being over powering and bitter, just the right amount of sweetness. It’s super creamy, smooth and cold. What a great way to finish off the summer. It’s also delicious with my ice cream sandwich recipe.
Also, don’t forget to save those egg whites for making meringues!
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups whole milk
- ⅓ cup espresso beans (coarsely ground or crushed)
- 2 Tablespoons espresso powder
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 Tablespoon Kahlua
- ¾ cup sugar
- Put the espresso beans and milk in a heavy sauce pan. Bring it to a gentle boil, turn off the heat and let steep for 30 minutes.
- After the 30 minutes, strain out the espresso beans and return the milk back to the pot.
- Combine yolks and sugar and beat in a mixer or with a hand mixer until very thick and pale yellow, 3-5 minutes
- Return the milk to the heat and bring to a simmer.
- Temper the milk into the yolk mixture, and add all back into the pot.
- Cook over low heat stirring constantly until the mix has thickened and coats the back of a spoon.
- Remove from heat, stir in the cream and strain into a container. Cover the top with plastic wrap touching the top of the gelato mixture so a skin doesn't form.
- Store in the fridge until cooled completely. I always make it the day before I want to churn it, so I know it's completely cold.
- Before you are ready to churn the gelato, whisk in the espresso powder and Kahlua.
- Churn in your ice cream or gelato maker according to manufacturer's instructions. In my machine it takes about 15-30 minutes depending on the weather, and temperature of the kitchen
She enjoys fresh pasta, creamy cheesy risotto, fresh churned gelato right out of the machine, and peanut butter cups. She absolutely despises cilantro and walnuts. Her favorite kitchen utensils are whisks and offset spatulas.
When she is not in the kitchen you can find her being lazy with her cats and polishing her nails.