One of my favorite guilty pleasure foods is frozen corn dogs. Pretty glam, I know.
On a whim, I decided to research homemade corn dog recipes – it turns out that they are a lot easier than I thought. (And it doesn’t hurt that Brie has that deep fryer we all love so much).
I’d say that these turned out even more delicious than the frozen kind and they were certainly gobbled up pretty quickly. Hope you enjoy!
- Plenty of oil for frying (we like corn oil)
- 1 cup flour
- ⅔ cup cornmeal
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons bacon drippings (go ahead and snack on the bacon itself, if you want!)
- 1 egg
- 1¼ cups buttermilk
- 2 packages hotdogs
- wooden skewers
- Heat oil to 365 degrees.
- Whisk together all dry ingredients.
- Stir in egg, bacon drippings, and buttermilk.
- Pat the hotdogs dry and skewer with sticks.
- Dip into batter one at a time and fry until golden brown.
- Serve & enjoy!
She lives in the Bay Area and cites her diverse background as her biggest influence: her visual artist mom is half-Chinese, half-Greek, and from Hawai’i; her film-loving, world-music curating dad is from Montana; and she lived in both California and Montana while growing up. She loves at least a little bit about virtually everything (Pokémon Snap included) and aims to be a Jane of all trades. By day Cat is a multiple-hat-wearing media person.
She is also allergic to felines.