I first created this dish several years ago when I struggled to find something that my very food allergic culinary instructor could eat at a small pot luck party. Something along these lines surfaced on the internet and it’s been stuck in my head ever since.
It’s a shame that I haven’t made it again until now. It was such a hit at the time, everyone in class loved it, and when I think of feta, I think of, and crave, this dish.
When I started imagining what I should do for a pot luck this past weekend I realized that I just had to make this again. It’s so simple, so light, and fresh, it was perfect for what was bound to be a warm evening.
- 2 cups uncooked couscous
- ½ cup cucumber, quartered and sliced
- 3 roma tomatos, seeded and diced
- ½ large red onion, diced
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- Cook your couscous according to package direction. Transfer to a large mixing bowl and allow to cool to room temperature occasionally tossing with a fork.
- While your couscous is cooling, chop and prepare all your vegetables.
- Combine all ingredients.
- Serve right away or chill until needed. This will last in your fridge for 4-5 days
There isn’t anything about this salad that’s not amazing.
This recipe is for the standard amount, but can very easily be increased to feed a crowd or to just have on hand for several days of easy lunches.
*Fun Fact: When she was 10-13ish, only 1 out of every 5 batches of sugar cookie dough would make it past the butter/sugar stage and end up in the oven instead of Brie’s stomach. #ThisIsWhyI’mFat
P.S. She also set the microwave on fire during the same era while making home-made microwavable popcorn. Pro tip: Alton Brown is WRONG and you cannot put a paper bag with staples into the microwave; things will go badly.
P.P.S Happy ending. Even though to put out the fire she threw a bowl of water onto it and shorted all the circuits, the microwave started working after a week and her mom was non-the-wiser.
P.P.P.S But, I guess not any longer…
Latest posts by Brie (see all)
- Restaurant Review: Texas de Brazil and/or Adventures in Chicago - July 23, 2014
- Chicken Salad - July 14, 2014
- Recipe Review: Banana Muffins - July 9, 2014