This recipe is part of Feeding A Crowd: French(ish!) Birthday.
I discovered this recipe on TheKitchn, and oh. my. goodness. Just lovely.
I highly recommend you run RIGHTNOW and make some. Lots. Infinite hoards of cheesy bready amazingnessitude.
- 1 cup water
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 1½ cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- Grainy mustard
- Preheat oven to 450.
- Combine water, butter, and salt and bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat and quickly stir in flour, all at once.
- Continue stirring vigorously (it'll look a bit like mushy potatoes)
- Put the pan back on low to medium heat and stir for 5 minutes until the dough dries out a little bit. It's ready when it is thick, shiny, and you can stand your spoon up in it.
- Remove from heat and set up your hand mixer.
- Beat dough on medium speed for one minute, then add eggs (while mixing) one at a time until combined.
- Beat in cheese.
- Scoop small balls of dough onto a baking sheet.
- Using a silicon brush, paint tops of dough balls with mustard.
- Bake for five minutes, then turn oven down to 350.
- Continue baking for ten minutes.
- Rotate pan 180 degrees and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
- These will be puffy and golden (like the pictures above) when they are done.
- (Good luck keeping yourself from gobbling them up before they can leave the kitchen).
- Serve immediately.
Wanna check out the rest of the French(ish!)-inspired menu? Try one of these!
- Virgin Peach Bellini
- Cheese Gougeres
- French Onion Soup
- Sausage Cassoulet
- Forty Cloves of Garlic Crockpot Chicken
- Mixed Berry Tart
She lives in the Bay Area and cites her diverse background as her biggest influence: her visual artist mom is half-Chinese, half-Greek, and from Hawai’i; her film-loving, world-music curating dad is from Montana; and she lived in both California and Montana while growing up. She loves at least a little bit about virtually everything (Pokémon Snap included) and aims to be a Jane of all trades. By day Cat is a multiple-hat-wearing media person.
She is also allergic to felines.