Another cool winter day, another cup of hot tea – and a craving for flaky, wonderful scones. These feature chopped, candied ginger and a whisper of egg nog.
You CAN use cream instead of egg nog, but the nog is a nice way to round out the subtle flavors of this scone.
If you hadn’t noticed, I’ve temporarily relocated my home office to the kitchen table. And yes, that is an excel spreadsheet in the background. Nerds unite! 😉 Luckily, it’s a reasonably large room, so coexisting in the shared cooking space has worked out pretty well.
Anyhoo, if you’re craving scones, these are a lovely option – great holiday flavors and delicious texture. Goes great with butter and a cup of tea.
- 1 cup finely chopped candied/crystalized ginger
- 1 stick frozen, unsalted butter
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup egg nog, plus a little extra for brushing over the scones. (Can use heavy cream instead!)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Farenheit
- Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder. and salt in a medium bowl.
- Grate in 5 Tablespoons of frozen butter, and stir until combined (it should resemble course crumbs).
- Mix in ginger.
- Fold in egg nog (being careful not to overwork the dough).
- Lightly flour your work surface and press your dough out into the shape of a rectangle (about 12" x 3" x 1½").
- Cut in half lengthwise, then into squares, and then cut the squares in half to form triangles.
- Place on baking sheet and brush tops lightly with egg nog (or cream).
- Bake in the oven for approximately 20 minutes or until lightly golden.
She lives in the Bay Area and cites her diverse background as her biggest influence: her visual artist mom is half-Chinese, half-Greek, and from Hawai’i; her film-loving, world-music curating dad is from Montana; and she lived in both California and Montana while growing up. She loves at least a little bit about virtually everything (Pokémon Snap included) and aims to be a Jane of all trades. By day Cat is a multiple-hat-wearing media person.
She is also allergic to felines.