Alright, I’m not going to lie, this recipe is so crazy simple.
And really, it’s cabbage, so you would think it wouldn’t be that good.
But you HAVE to trust me. This dish is so, so, so, delicious.
If you need a way to get more veggies into you, or a super simple side dish for any occasion, look no further.
- 1 head green cabbage
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Remove the core from the bottom of the cabbage.
- Cut the cabbage in half.
- Slice each half into 1" strips, and then cut cross ways in 1" increments so you roughly have square/rectangular pieces.
- Place your butter into the bottom of a large saucepan and heap your cabbage carefully on top (it will wilt down)
- Sprinkle with salt and cover with a lid.
- Stir occasionally (more frequently in the beginning) to coat the cabbage with the melted butter and create an even cooking process.
- The butter will wilt and begin to caramelize.
- Remove form the heat and serve once about 10% is golden (this should be about 10-15 minutes; you can also cook longer if you like a lot of golden brown - this recipe is very forgiving)
No really, you should go make this now.
*Fun Fact: When she was 10-13ish, only 1 out of every 5 batches of sugar cookie dough would make it past the butter/sugar stage and end up in the oven instead of Brie’s stomach. #ThisIsWhyI’mFat
P.S. She also set the microwave on fire during the same era while making home-made microwavable popcorn. Pro tip: Alton Brown is WRONG and you cannot put a paper bag with staples into the microwave; things will go badly.
P.P.S Happy ending. Even though to put out the fire she threw a bowl of water onto it and shorted all the circuits, the microwave started working after a week and her mom was non-the-wiser.
P.P.P.S But, I guess not any longer…