I had a friend ask me why I run a food blog if I don’t like cooking. Well, I love food. It’s delicious! And I like finding and sharing information on shortcuts to tasty things. Plus, I have a whole house of people I can talk into executing my food ideas. It works out well for both my taste buds and theirs.
Speaking of my laziness, I recently talked my wonderful and handsome boyfriend Mark into making dinner for the rest of us. He made these burrito bowls from Budget Bytes and they turned out perfectly. They’re quick, cheap, easy, tasty, and versatile — culinary genius, frankly!
As they are, they’re vegan. You can add shredded chicken, if you’d like. Throw in sour cream, if you’d like something a little extra smooth. Chopped onions, cilantro, and lime juice also make wonderful additions.
- 6 cups cooked rice
- 2 cups black beans
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp cumin
- A dash of salt
- 2 cups salsa
- 8 oz shredded cheddar
- 1 bunch thinly sliced green onions
- * ¼ tsp chili powder (optional)
- *Lime juice (optional)
- *Chopped onions (optional)
- * Sour cream (optional)
- * Cilantro (optional)
- * Shredded, cooked meat (optional)
- Heat black beans over medium heat and thoroughly mix in salt, cumin, and garlic powder.
- Assemble bowls: a cup rice, ⅓ cup black beans, ⅓ cup salsa, a generous sprinkling of cheese, and green onions.
- If you'd like, add any of the other optional ingredients mentioned above.
- Serve and enjoy!
She lives in the Bay Area and cites her diverse background as her biggest influence: her visual artist mom is half-Chinese, half-Greek, and from Hawai’i; her film-loving, world-music curating dad is from Montana; and she lived in both California and Montana while growing up. She loves at least a little bit about virtually everything (Pokémon Snap included) and aims to be a Jane of all trades. By day Cat is a multiple-hat-wearing media person.
She is also allergic to felines.