So: let’s talk breakfast pizza. Is it breakfast? Is it dinner? Is it breakfast FOR dinner? Vice-versa?
Philosophical concerns aside, it’s both tasty and easy. Especially if you’re like me and have most of the ingredients on hand already.
It’s oh-so-very lovely when you don’t have to run to the store for a recipe. If need be, you can substitute other pizza-friendly cheeses, add mushrooms, spinach, bell pepper – the combinations are pretty much limited only by your imagination.
I have a bonus picture for you today. This is the face of a dog who is desperately hoping that I will drop some bacon.
Spoiler alert: I TOTALLY dropped some bacon. Accidentally on purpose (but just a teeny bit).
Here’s a picture of the pizza toppings, pre-baking (the eggs don’t spread out as much as you’d think).
Anyway, let’s get to cooking!
- ¾ cup hot water
- 1 teaspoon instant yeast
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- Parchment paper
- Combine yeast and warm water in a medium-sized mixing bowl.
- Add 1½ teaspoons of salt, two cups of flour, and knead until smooth (about 5-8 minutes).
- Cover and set aside.
- Pizza Dough (see above)
- 2½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 eggs
- 5 slices of bacon
- ½ medium onion, diced
- Dried parsley flakes
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees.
- Cook bacon until crisp, then chop into large pieces.
- Cut pizza dough in half.
- Roll out one half of dough into a large disk until very thin - about ¼" thick and place on parchment paper on pizza sheet.
- Sprinkle evenly with ½ of the shredded cheese, bacon pieces, and onion.
- Lightly dust with parsley flakes.
- Crack three eggs over the cheese - spread them out from one another.
- Generously salt and pepper the eggs, then lightly pepper the rest of the pizza.
- Repeat with second half of dough and ingredients.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and eggs are cooked through.
She lives in the Bay Area and cites her diverse background as her biggest influence: her visual artist mom is half-Chinese, half-Greek, and from Hawai’i; her film-loving, world-music curating dad is from Montana; and she lived in both California and Montana while growing up. She loves at least a little bit about virtually everything (Pokémon Snap included) and aims to be a Jane of all trades. By day Cat is a multiple-hat-wearing media person.
She is also allergic to felines.