There’s something so comforting about warm soup on a chilly day.
This soup is so creamy and filling, that it’s the perfect thing to curl up with while you watch holiday classics like “Home Alone” or “Die Hard”.
It’s also really easy; just normal annoying prep work with potatoes, but then you’re good to go!
- 12 pieces of thick cut bacon
- 1 large onion (diced)
- 3 cloves crushed garlic (about a tablespoon)
- 4 pounds potatoes (peeled and diced into ½" cubes)
- 2½ cups whole milk
- ½ cup cream or half&half
- 1 can Cream of Chicken soup
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese (shredded)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fry the bacon in a large (deep) sauce pan until just crisp, set aside to cool. Retain about 2 tablespoons of the bacon fat.
- Add to the bacon fat the diced onion and cook until translucent.
- Stir in the crushed garlic and saute for about a minute then add the cubed potatoes, milk, cream, cream of chicken soup, and salt and pepper.
- Stir until combined and then bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, drop to a simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are tender.
- Crumble your cooked bacon into the soup, and stir in your shredded cheese.
- Taste and add any additional seasoning.
- Simmer for another 15-20 minutes.
- Serve immediately with a dollop of sour cream or sprinkle of red pepper flakes.
This soup is versatile and nearly fool proof. Make it soon and enjoy!
*Fun Fact: When she was 10-13ish, only 1 out of every 5 batches of sugar cookie dough would make it past the butter/sugar stage and end up in the oven instead of Brie’s stomach. #ThisIsWhyI’mFat
P.S. She also set the microwave on fire during the same era while making home-made microwavable popcorn. Pro tip: Alton Brown is WRONG and you cannot put a paper bag with staples into the microwave; things will go badly.
P.P.S Happy ending. Even though to put out the fire she threw a bowl of water onto it and shorted all the circuits, the microwave started working after a week and her mom was non-the-wiser.
P.P.P.S But, I guess not any longer…
Latest posts by Brie (see all)
- Busy Girl Meal Ideas - July 30, 2014
- Restaurant Review: Texas de Brazil and/or Adventures in Chicago - July 23, 2014
- Chicken Salad - July 14, 2014